You may not even think about keeping your cat well-groomed as being part of keeping them healthy. But the truth is that’s absolutely part of it.
So, how do you make sure that your furry family members are well-groomed? You start by getting the right cat clippers.
Cat clippers come in all different shapes, sizes and types. So make sure you’re looking at all the options and choosing something that works for you.
Best Cat Clippers Overall
If you’re looking for an overall product that will allow you to get your cat looking great then these are a great way to go. The moderate price makes them a good option for most users and they are a professional grade that means you’ll be able to get a great look for your cat. What’s even better is that you’re going to have something that runs quietly but still efficiently, so the job gets done right.
With these clippers you’ll be able to trim any type of coat and any breed of cat or dog, plus the blade is easy to switch out as needed so you can change the type of trim you’re doing or clean it out as needed. The two-speed motor makes it easy to get the job done and the cord is heavy duty and long enough for you to get all the way around your cat in no time at all. There’s even a removable drive cap. Plus, the exterior case is shatter proof so there’s no concern about dropping it.
Best Cordless Clippers for Cat
If you need to trim your furry friends on the go you’re going to want to look at this clipper kit. It’s designed to work with or without a cord so it’s always ready to go. The battery lasts up to 90 minutes on a full charge and works at full power until it’s completely empty. It even charges back up completely in 60 minutes so it’s ready to go again fast. It also comes in several different colors so you can get something that fits your own personality and preference.
You can use this unit as a corded set of clippers if you need it for an extended period, when you’re home or anytime that you want. There are five different blade options including #9, 10, 15, 30 and 40 so you can get the ideal length for your pet, whether over their body, their feet or face. In fact, it’s a great option for getting into closer areas on smaller pets or small areas even on your larger pets like around the ears of your horse. Small and lightweight, you’re going to have a full year warranty to prove that this set of clippers is built to last.
Best Cat Clippers for Matted Fur
If you have a cat or other animal with a lot of matting you need a set of clippers that can get in close and take care of the problem. These clippers come with several different size blades so you can get a close cut and you can choose what works best for any type of animal that you have. The clippers themselves are lightweight and high quality, with blades that are made in Germany. They also have a one year warranty that lets you know they’re built to last.
You’ll get up to 80 minutes of run time from this corded unit, and you can charge it up again in 75 minutes to use again. Or you can plug it in if you’re not away from home and use it whenever and however you want. Designed to be lightweight and small so you can use them easily, you’ll also get plenty more included with this kit. You’ll get 2 battery packs, a storage case, a charging stand and charger and guide combs as well as a cleaning brush and blade oil.
Best Electric Shaver for Cats
For those who want to get a real close cut for their cat or dog this is a great way to go. These clippers are inexpensive and work great for just about anything you might need. You’ll get 4 different guide combs as well as scissors, a styling comb and mirror, a blade guard and a case to store the clippers in. That means you’re going to get a great look for your pet with these carbon steel blades. The combs are even color coded to make it easier for you to see which one you’re getting.
You’ll get a 1 year warranty that lets you know this kit is built to last and you don’t have to worry about snagging your pets coat while you’re clipping. There’s plenty of power in this system and it’s made in the USA, so you know what you’re getting. When you’re ready to get a great looking trim for your pet you’ll have no problem customizing the perfect look with this electric shaver. All you have to do is decide just what you’re looking for.
Best Cat Clippers for Long Haired Cats
When it comes to long haired cats you absolutely want to make sure you have the right clippers to take care of them. After all, a long haired cat could cause problems for less powerful clippers. With these you’re going to have all the power you need as well as plenty of speed. These clippers offer both 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM to get the right cut for your cat. They’re designed for just about any animal including cats and dogs and even horses and other livestock.
You get a #10 blade as well as oil and grease, a cleaning brush and replacement brushes so this set of clippers is always ready to go and you can always count on them to work. The blade system is designed to be quick and easy whenever you need to swap out the blades and the quality blade options are a great benefit as well. When you want to change out the blades you can choose between several different types, including Cryogen-X, Elite Cryogen-X and Take Down Quick Wide blade options. These moderately priced clippers are a great addition to your grooming kit.
Best Quiet Cat Clippers
If you have a slightly skittish cat or other animal you may want to look for clippers that will run a little more quietly. That way, you won’t have to worry about scaring them off while you’re getting their coat in great shape. This set of clippers is made from one of the best companies around, and in the USA. They’re also great for clipping fine fur and for trimming smaller areas. They’re great for long coats, double coats and medium coats and they’re super quiet. Not only that but they’re long-lasting as well.
If you’re going to be on the go you’ll like that these clippers last up to 2 hours without needing to be charged and they come with everything you need including scissors, a carry case, combs, oil and a whole lot more. With this kit you’re going to have everything you need to groom your pet. Plus the blades are snag-free (which is important for long-haired cats especially) and you’re going to have a 5 year warranty included. All of this ensures that these cat clippers are going to make it a whole lot easier for you to groom your pet.
Picking Out the Best Clippers for Cats
When you’re looking for the best clippers you want to look at a few important things. These include the speed, power, wattage and a whole lot more.
- Strokers Per Minute – The strokes per minute of your clippers are important because they tell you how fast the clippers work, somewhere between 2,000 SPM and 7,000 SPM. But you don’t necessarily need the fastest clippers to get the job done. You want to weigh out the speed and the volume, since faster speed means you’re going to increase the volume and the heat level.
- Power – For cats with longer fur or thicker fur and those with matted fur you’re going to want to look at power over anything else. The power is about the type of motor that you’re getting and how many watts it uses. But keep in mind that not all companies measure watts in the same way. You want to know how much it’s producing, not how much it’s consuming.
- Category – If you’re looking at the duty rating of the clippers you’ll get a better idea of just how powerful they actually are. For example, light duty clippers are not designed to give you as much power, where heavy-duty clippers can really get in there for bigger jobs.
- Motor – There are several different types of motors including universal rotary, pivot and magnet and permanent magnet. A universal rotary will give you the best power but it’s loud, heavy and can get hot. On the other hand a pivot and magnet motor is lightweight and quieter, but it’s not as powerful for really thick coats. And finally a permanent magnet motor is for the lowest needs and doesn’t have as much power or noise.
- Sound – You want something that’s going to be relatively quiet to operate so it doesn’t startle or frighten your cat. If it operates somewhere around 50 to 60 decibels or even lower then you’re likely going to be in good shape and you’ll be able to keep your cat from getting too frightened.
- Blade – A 10 blade is generally the one you want to start with and will give you the best option for a close shave that doesn’t get too close to the skin. You’ll also want to look at ceramic blades to make sure you have something that doesn’t get too hot or break down too quickly.
Can You Shave Cat With Human Clippers?
Now, after taking a look at all of the different types of clippers out there for your pet you may be wondering if you can actually just shave them with you own clippers or with a set of clippers that are designed for humans. While a lot of people do this, there’s some controversy over the issue. In general, it’s okay in some situations, but you should be careful about these things:
- They Get Hot – Human clippers will get quite hot, and while that might not be a problem for you (and in fact you may not even have noticed), it can be far too hot for your cat. They might feel uncomfortable or they might even get burned because their skin is far more sensitive than yours is.
- They Get Loud – Human clippers will get quite loud as well, and they tend to vibrate quite bit. All of this can be a little overwhelming for your cat and they may get a bit scared. That can actually make them more likely to be injured in the process.
- They Have Plastic Guards – Plastic guards are designed to make sure that your hair doesn’t get caught and that it’s trimmed to just the right length, but for a cat the plastic guards may not be enough to protect from snags.
When it comes to trimming your cat you want to make sure that you are looking at all of the options and choosing something that’s going to work out great for your pet. Before you know it, you’re going to have a great set of clippers that will help you get your cat healthy and looking their absolute best. What could be better than that?